Yesterday...

Yesterday for 8/17/17

 

YESTERDAY …

10 years ago

As reported in the Bangor Daily News

 PRESQUE ISLE — The man who bought Wednesday’s winning $9.875 million Megabucks lottery ticket has come forward, but he asked the owners of the store where he purchased the ticket to keep his name a secret, at least for the time being.

  Raylene Shaw who, with her husband, Barry, owns Ray’s Corner Variety at 70 Academy St., said Friday that a man who works in Presque Isle surfaced about 7:30 Thursday evening.

  The winning ticket, with numbers 7-10-12-16-19-21, was one of five Easy Pick tickets the man purchased. He bought his tickets at 2:08 p.m. Wednesday.

  Wednesday’s jackpot was the largest Tri-State Megabucks jackpot since 1993.

  Inquiries to the Maine State Lottery were not returned Friday.

  Shaw said the man who won was not a regular lottery ticket customer. The cashier had urged the customer to try his luck.

  “He was in a state of shock,” Shaw said Friday afternoon. “When I suggested he call an attorney to help him out, he said he would as soon as he gets out of work Friday.

  “He said he just didn’t know what to think,” Shaw said.

  The Shaws, who have owned the store just over two years, had not sold a ticket winning a large amount of money until this week. Since then, tickets have been selling quickly. Shaw said the number of Powerball tickets sold has gone up.

  “Maybe people are thinking lightning will strike at the same location twice,” she said. “It’s been a whirlwind here since Thursday.

  “People are coming in to buy tickets and to congratulate us,” she said.

  The Shaws will receive a selling bonus estimated at $30,000. The amount is based on the total final jackpot sales.

  Raylene Shaw said she and her husband have talked about what they will do with their selling bonus. She said there are some things they want to add to their business and a few bills they want to pay off, and they may even take a vacation.

  BANGOR — With a week to go before the kickoff of the American Folk Festival, organizers said Friday they have reached 78 percent of their $1 million fundraising goal.

  Each year, it takes a little more than $1 million and about 800 volunteers to put on the three-day festival of music, dance and crafts on the Bangor Waterfront.

  As of Friday, organizers were $222,095 shy of their $1,031,000 budget for this year’s festival set for Aug. 24-26, Executive Director Heather McCarthy said Friday.

  Money needed to close the budget gap will have to be raised through donations to the bucket brigade, a group of volunteers who roam the festival with buckets for contributions.

  Other revenue options: T-shirt sales, parking fees and contributions from individuals and small businesses, she said.

  As festival weekend draws near, organizers are hoping some new fundraising will help bridge the gap.

  “I wouldn’t say [festival donations] have grown by leaps and bounds, but we’ve had some success with a mailing we sent to people in Bangor and Brewer,” McCarthy said.

  The portion of the operating budget organizers planned to seek from individuals was set at $43,000, up $5,000 from what was raised the previous year, she said.

  But because of the mail outreach, donations from individual donors, who contributed an average of about $25 each, now stand at $51,000.

  “That’s fantastic,” she said. “I don’t think that it’s unreasonable to hope that most people would think festival weekend is worth $25,” she said.

  Bangor and Brewer were starting points, McCarthy said. That was as far as the mailings could go this year due to limited resources. She hopes to expand to other communities in the future.

  Also running slightly ahead is assistance from grants and foundations, she said.

  The festival board hoped to raise at least $100,000 from that sector. On Friday, $104,000 had come in under that heading, McCarthy said.

  Despite the increase in individual, grant and foundation dollars, the amount organizers hoped to obtain from government sources is lagging, in part because the state hasn’t yet determined how much, if any, it will contribute.

  In past years, the state has kicked in as much as $20,000, according to McCarthy.

  To date, festival planners have raised $141,000 of the $175,000 they planned to obtain from government sources overall.

  Local governments, however, have been a bright spot.

  When fundraising for the festival began last year, the cities of Bangor and Brewer already were on board, McCarthy said. This year, the nearby towns of Hermon, Veazie and Milford stepped forward for the first time.

  Slightly behind in its support is the corporate sector, McCarthy said.

  The festival’s funding goal from corporations is $470,000. To date, $452,250 has poured in, a total that is 5 percent under projections.

  Much of the remaining deficit will have to be raised during the festival itself in the form of earnings, including sales of ice and compact discs, booth rentals and other goods and services, McCarthy said. The goal in that regard is $238,000.

   After hearing from patrons who never got an opportunity to put money into one of the money buckets carried by members of the festival’s bucket brigade, organizers last year added two “super buckets.”

  The super buckets — two 55-gallon drums decked out to look like the 5-gallon plastic pails carried by members of the bucket brigade — were set out near the shuttle bus stops near the Railroad and Heritage stages.

  They’ll be located at those sites again next weekend.

  “The placement of those turned out to be very key in our fundraising effort,” she said.

  •  

 BANGOR — Maine Troop Greeters are expected to meet a milestone this weekend as they welcome the 500,000th serviceman or woman to fly through Bangor International Airport on the way to or returning from duty overseas.

  At 6 p.m. Friday, the number to have flown through here stood at 499,236. With two planes scheduled later in the night, the 500,000th service member was expected to arrive early on Saturday.

  “Right at this moment, it looks like the 4 [a.m. flight],” Risteen Masters, marketing director for BIA, said Friday evening. If the number of passengers on that flight turned up lighter, Masters said, the milestone would be reached Sunday.

  More than 40 volunteers from eastern Maine make up the core group of greeters who take time to go to the airport to offer a warm welcome or send-off to the military men and women whenever a troop plane is scheduled.

  The Maine Troop Greeters line the hall and applaud as the troops disembark from their planes, and they shake hands with them as the uniformed men and women pass by. Occasionally, the troops get and give hugs.

  The greeters, who began keeping a tally in 2003, welcomed the 400,000th service member in November 2006.

  All personnel on the troop plane holding the 500,000th member will be given a gift bag filled with local souvenirs, and Bangor’s mayor will present the unit commander with a key to the city and a city flag.

  The Maine Troop Greeters also will present to the unit commander an autographed and framed photo of their group, which is known worldwide for its dedication to supporting U.S. servicemen and women. Over the years, the Bangor Daily News and the Greater Bangor Chamber of Commerce have received hundreds of letters from soldiers and their families thanking the greeters for their efforts.

25 years ago

As reported in the Bangor Daily News

  Justin Adam Lane came into the world at 7:50 a.m. Monday with a little help from his dad and half a dozen truck drivers.

  Kim Lane had not expected to deliver her third son on Interstate 95 with an all-male audience, but Justin was not prepared to wait out the trip to Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor.

  Things happened fast around the Lane household in Corinna on Monday morning. Kim Lane’s water broke at about 7:30 a.m. and her husband, Kevin, called EMMC.

  Kevin Lane then called his wife’s doctor and was told the doctor would call them right back.

  Ten minutes later, Kim’s contractions were three minutes apart and the couple decided they better not wait for the doctor and should begin the 40-minute trip to Bangor.

  They were in Etna when Kim informed her husband that she was going to have the baby.

  “I kept telling her to breathe, but she wouldn’t listen to me. She kept saying, `We’re going to have this baby,’ and I said, `I know, I know, but not here. We’ve got to get to Bangor,”‘ Kevin Lane said Monday afternoon from the comfort of his wife’s hospital room.

  He was not eager to stop the car, but when he reached down and felt that the child’s head had emerged, he quickly pulled over to the side of the road.

  He put on his four-way flashers and waved down some help. He got his wife into the back seat, and two minutes later Justin was born.

  Like a true professional, Kevin Lane cleaned out the baby’s mouth, slapped him on the bottom and nearly fainted with relief when he heard the first cry.

  By this time, five or six truckers had stopped to help, and one of them used a CB radio to call for help. The four-way flashers wore the battery down in the car so the truckers took off their shirts and used them to keep the baby and mom warm.

  About 20 minutes later an ambulance from Sebasticook Valley Hospital in Pittsfield arrived and found mother and baby doing just fine.

  On Monday afternoon Justin yawned contentedly from his mother’s bed, oblivious to the fuss going on around him.

  The family is expected to go home in a day or two. Justin will join his brothers, Bruce, 7, and Andrew, 5.

  Call it Brent and Craig’s Excellent Adventure.

  When they woke up a week ago, Maine college students Brent Littlefield and Craig Cheslog had no plans to travel to Houston for the Republican National Convention.

  “I actually didn’t even know the specific date of when the convention was going to be. I never really paid attention,” Littlefield said.

  But then they figured, what the heck, they could drive more than 2,000 miles for their country.

  Littlefield, president of the student body at the University of Maine, and Cheslog, president of the College Republicans at Bowdoin College, left in Cheslog’s Toyota pickup truck at 6:30 p.m. Thursday and drove straight through to New Orleans, where they joined other college students for a convoy to Houston. They got in about 4 p.m. Saturday.

  The pair decided to go after Littlefield, a 21-year-old political science major, was asked to be the youth chairman in Maine for President George H. W. Bush’s re-election campaign.

  “We figured we’re young people, we wanted to show our enthusiasm for the president,” Littlefield said.

  “It’s one of those things that you can still do as a college student, and if I didn’t come here, I’d be sitting watching the convention on C-SPAN or something, (thinking) `Darn, I could have been there,”‘ said Cheslog, 21, a government and history major.

   “I hope to learn some more about the party, learn some more about the process, what goes on at a convention, meet some people, have some fun and learn some things while I’m down here that I can take back to Bowdoin and use on campus in the group to educate the college community itself,” Cheslog said.

 ROCKPORT — Garthorpe Productions, the company filming “Man Without a Face” in Rockport, has donated $15,000 to the Rockport Opera House for its restoration project.

  Town and Opera House officials met with the production company to discuss the logistics of filming a scene in the Opera House, and seized the opportunity to ask the company if they would be interested in making a donation to the restoration, said David Jackson, chairman of the Rockport Opera House Committee.

  “We consider (the donation) a very generous contribution to the restoration committee. They were instrumental in putting us up over the top,” said Jackson.

  The municipally owned Opera House received a Maine jobs bond from the state for $125,000 in July, but had to come up with a matching figure to receive the bond. Opera House officials raced to meet the July 31 deadline, launching an appeal to the community for funds. Businesses and residents responded with an outpouring of donations, pledges and securities, ranging from $5 to $5,000, said Jackson.

  Those donations and the state bond will be used in conjunction with a municipal bond from the town, and $225,000 given by Bay Chamber Concerts, one of the primary users of the building. The renovation project will overhaul major portions of the building.

  •  

  BANGOR — Picture former Red Sox pitcher and noted lefthanded philosopher Bill Lee gesturing to the military jets screaming overhead, their seemingly endless landing practice at the nearby airport interrupting the “Spaceman’s” putting concentration for the umpteenth time.

  Picture a raucous bidding war under the hospitality tent that carried into four figures for an autographed lithograph of a 19-year-old Ted Williams wearing a Minnesota Millers minor league uniform.

  Picture more than 80 golfers grateful for the absence of rain and the presence of the scramble format that ensured virtually every player made at least one memorable shot.

  Now you’ve got part of the picture of what made the first Barbara Leavitt Memorial Celebrity Golf Tournament at Bangor Municipal Golf Course on Monday a success.

  The rest of the picture came in the form of the $14,000 raised by the tournament, which honors the late wife of former Bangor Daily News Executive Sports Editor Bud Leavitt. The money was presented to the Jimmy Fund — a Boston-based charity for researching and fighting cancer in children.

  “This was just an unbelievable response,” said Leavitt, whose wife died of cancer on Oct. 16, 1989. “So many people came up to me today and said they wanted to sign up for next year. And we raised more than 14 grand for the Jimmy Fund.

  “This was always a charity near and dear to Barbara,” continued Leavitt, now retired from his NEWS post. “Around Christmas time every year she would send the Jimmy Fund a donation. That’s why this is so fitting.”

    The highlight of the auction part of the event came when Bangor businessman Larry Mahaney outbid Bill Arata for the Williams lithograph, which pictured the Splendid Splinter in the minors the year before he broke in with the Red Sox. Mahaney paid $1,050.

  Other objects sold in the auction included autographed framed photos of golfer Lee Trevino ($325), Red Sox pitcher Roger Clemens ($300), Chicago Cubs second baseman Ryne Sandberg ($275), and Red Sox pitcher Frank Viola ($175).

  The auction raised an additional $2,400 for the Jimmy Fund.

 

50 years ago

As reported in the Bangor Daily News

  WASHINGTON — Rep. William D. Hathaway, D-Maine, Thursday challenged House Republican leader Gerald Ford to explain his opposition to the Dickey-Lincoln School power project while he is at Seal Harbor for a GOP strategy session.

  Hathaway, in an open letter to Ford, asserted that the Michigan Republican played a “key role” in defeating a $1,676,000 planning appropriation for the Dickey project last month.

  The 2nd District congressman addressed six questions to Ford and added: “I believe you owe the people of Maine an explanation of your conduct this year.”

  Among other things, Hathaway wanted to know why Ford used his influence as minority leader to “take all but two Republicans with you in opposition to the Dickey project.” Hathaway also asked whether Ford intended to continue his opposition.

  “As a national Republican leader, are you sincerely interested in the welfare of the people of Maine, big enough to change your stand and support a project that means so much to us? Are you with us — or against us?”

  Bill Geagan, author, naturalist and newspaperman of national prominence was presented an award Thursday in recognition of his many contributions to conservation and preservation of wildlife and natural resources.

  The presentation was made by William Bennett of the the YMCA and Camp Jordan and the Maine Sportsmen’s Junior Conservation Camp on behalf of Ora Nickerson, president of the sponsoring Penobscot County Conservation Association.

  The presentation was made to the Bangor author at an assembly of 72 boys enrolled at the camp and their instructors.

 

100 years ago

As reported in the Bangor Daily News

BANGOR — At the Broadway residence of Col. F. H. Strickland on Thursday many prominent Bangor women and several from out of town gathered to meet Mrs. James W. Wadsworth Jr. of Groveland, New York, and Washington, wife of the senior senator from New York, and to hear from her an address in opposition to woman suffrage. Mrs. Wadsworth, who is president of the National Association Opposed to Woman Suffrage, visited Portland and Augusta before coming to Bangor, and seemed gratified at the warmth of her reception in all three cities and encouraged over the progress of the anti-suffrage campaign, which is to culminate with the referendum vote on Sept. 10.

  Speaking at the Strickland home on Thursday forenoon, Mrs. Wadsworth said that she felt sure that if the suffrage question in Maine were to be submitted to the women alone for decision there would be a large majority against it. She declared that in other states most of the women do not want suffrage and that many men who have voted for suffrage did so under the mistaken impression that the greater majority of the women wanted it. She spoke of the strong array of women against suffrage all over the country and predicted that before long, many states which have adopted suffrage will invoke the referendum against it. Already a movement has been started in Nebraska, where the people are tired of woman suffrage.

  Mrs. Wadsworth urged that the men of Maine take a live interest in the woman suffrage question, and she believed that after exercising their best judgment they will vote against it by a large majority.

  Mrs. Wadsworth is the daughter of the late statesman John Hay, who served as secretary to President Abraham Lincoln. While in Bangor she visited Mrs. Hannibal Hamlin on Fifth Street. Mrs. Hamlin was unable to go to the residence of Mrs. Strickland and expressed a wish to meet the daughter of her old friends, Mr. and Mrs. Hay, whom she knew in Washington in the days when her distinguished husband was vice president under Lincoln.

 

Get the Rest of the Story

Thank you for reading your 4 free articles this month. To continue reading, and support local, rural journalism, please subscribe.