Yesterday...

Yesterday for 8/10/17

 

YESTERDAY …

10 years ago

As reported in the Bangor Daily News

  ORONO — It was sunny and warm Friday afternoon on the aging Morse Field AstroTurf at Alfond Stadium, but neither Mike Brusko nor Adam Farkes even broke a sweat.

  Those who follow University of Maine football might take that as a sign that whichever young man earns the starting quarterback job, he’ll be cool under pressure.

  During the next two weeks, University of Maine coach Jack Cosgrove, himself a former UMaine quarterback, and his staff will have to decide who will lead the Black Bears onto the field for their Sept. 1 opener against Monmouth.

  “The quarterback, in this game, is the difference-maker,” Cosgrove said Friday during UMaine’s annual media day gathering. “The reason teams are champions is generally because they have a guy behind center who, when those [key] situations come up, makes the right decision and physically makes the play.”

  Cosgrove remains unfazed about the prospect of deciding whether Brusko, a third-year player, or Adam Farkes, a redshirt freshman, is the right man for the job.

  “I always say, the sooner you make decisions the better, but decisions always need to run the course of time,” Cosgrove said. “What’ll happen is, it’ll smack me right in the face. I think we’ll know.”

  UMaine has primarily utilized the talents of four quarterbacks during the last 16 seasons. Ron Whitcomb ended his four-year stint last fall as the program’s all-time leader in pass completions (755) and attempts (1,276).

  He was preceded by Jake Eaton (1999-2002), Mickey Fein (1995-98) and Emilio Colon (1991-94). While a handful of other QBs saw limited action, each member of that quartet ranks in the top five at UMaine in career passing yards.

  As the first week of camp ends today, neither Farkes of Boston, nor Brusko, who hails from Zionsville, Pennsylvania, has had much time to think about team history. Each is working diligently to become the next man to hold that coveted position.

  “We both know that there’s a big competition out there and there’s a lot of eyes on us, but we have to just get better each and every day,” said Farkes, who scrambled around a question about the specific strengths of each quarterback.

  “I think that we both bring different qualities to the table, different skills,” Farkes said. “Together, we’re just trying to make each other better and the competition’s going to do that.”

  “Both of them are excellent athletes. Both of them can run,” Cosgrove said. “There’s a battle there, because they each have their strengths.”

 The Rev. Marguerite “Rita” A.H. Steadman stepped into the pulpit of Saint John’s Episcopal Church in Bangor last Sunday and made history.

  The 38-year-old mother of two young children is the first woman to serve as rector of the congregation since its founding in 1835.

  Steadman, however, has been a first before. She was the first woman ordained a deacon more than a decade ago at St. Mary the Virgin Episcopal Church in Times Square after she completed her studies at General Theological Seminary in New York City.

  Saint John’s new rector is known to her flock as “Mother Rita” or “Mother Steadman.” Members of the search committee said she was hired because her skills and experience match the congregation’s current needs.

  “She is deeply spiritual but very easy to talk to,” Hal Wheeler, who visited Steadman at her previous church in Washington, D.C., said recently. “Watching her celebrate the Eucharist, I was very deeply moved. She also has a great ability to relate to people one on one and in groups.”

  Wheeler also said that St. John’s needed to increase and enhance its youth programs. Steadman worked with young Episcopalians for many years at Christ Episcopal Church in Georgetown and filled in as rector for nine months last year when the rector was mobilized as a chaplain to serve in the war in Iraq.

  Steadman and her family moved to Bangor in July and live within walking distance of the church.

   A researcher and a conservationist were honored by the state this week for their contribution to Maine’s forest landscape.

  John Hagan of the Manomet Center for Conservation Science and Sherry Huber of the Maine TREE Foundation were both given the Austin H. Wilkins Forest Stewardship Award on Thursday by Gov. John Baldacci.

  The award, named for a longtime state forestry commissioner, recognizes individuals or organizations that made extraordinary contributions to the stewardship of Maine’s forest. This was the third time the Wilkins award has been bestowed since its inception in 2004.

  Hagan has been director of Manomet’s forest conservation program for the past decade. While at Manomet, Hagan has been focused on developing timber harvesting practices that protect biodiversity. Baldacci also praised Hagan for his advocacy on behalf of old-growth forests and attention to the issues of climate change and carbon offsets.

  “John has successfully brought together landowners, environmentalists and the government to protect and preserve the forests in Maine,” the governor said in a statement announcing the award.

  Huber is a longtime conservationist who helped build up Maine Audubon and has been involved extensively in forestry and other environmental issues over the decades. Baldacci singled out Huber’s contribution to the preservation of 329,000 acres in the Forest Society of Maine’s West Branch Project.

  “We are indebted to her activism and advocacy,” Baldacci said.

  Austin H. Wilkins served as state forestry commissioner or deputy commissioner under 13 governors. Wilkins, who was the first recipient of the award bearing his name, died in 2005 at age 102.

  Pingree Associates and the family’s land-management arm, Seven Islands Land Co., were the second recipients of the Wilkins award in 2005.

25 years ago

As reported in the Bangor Daily News

  With about 85 days until the election, the three main candidates for the 2nd District congressional seat campaigned in their respective strongholds Monday.

  U.S. Rep. Olympia J. Snowe joined members of the Maine State Nurses’ Association to accept an endorsement in Auburn, the congresswoman’s hometown and the site of her campaign headquarters.

  Democrat Patrick K. McGowan stepped outside the district for a political boost from Bath Iron Works union members Monday afternoon. The press conference was called for further reaction to Snowe’s claim last week that he has failed to support jobs at Bath Iron Works, which employs about 2,000 residents of the nearby 2nd District. BIW President Duane Fitzgerald also appeared at the press conference.

  Local 6 President Dave Libby said, “We, along with the rest of the people of the state are tired of the way Congresswoman Snowe twists and distorts the truth.”

  Libby also said that Snowe has not visited the shipyard since she was elected to Congress. Snowe campaign spokeswoman Jane Fowler said that could be true, because the shipyard lies in the 1st District.

  “That’s not a place where she would campaign,” Fowler said.

  McGowan said the trip was his fourth during the 1992 race.

  Green Party candidate Jonathan Carter, during a news conference in Prospect, called for greater regulation of the fishing industry.

  Many of Maine’s fishing areas, including the Gulf of Maine, are being polluted and overfished, Carter said, according to a text of his speech.

  “Clearly, fishing needs to be regulated and stocks need to be given time to rebuild,” Carter said. “The biological health of the oceans is in jeopardy. Either we take the steps now to ensure its restoration or we will no longer have the bounty of its gifts in both economic and nutrition terms.”

  ORIENT — Representatives of camp owners who lease land from Georgia-Pacific Corp. and company officials will meet Thursday to discuss leaseholders’ concerns about dramatic increases in lease fees.

  Larry Hunter of Presque Isle, president of a newly formed leaseholders group, said Monday that representatives of the group have been invited by G-P officials to meet with them Thursday at the company office in Woodland to talk about leaseholders’ concerns.

 “We feel good about that,” Hunter said. “It’s not a negotiations meeting, but issues will be put on the table. Hopefully from that meeting, other meetings will come about and we’ll make some progress toward compromise.”

 Camp owners are upset by recent lease agreements with G-P that have resulted in a 200 percent increase in annual lease fees.

 Of particular concern is the fact that, in addition to an administration fee and the property tax on the land, the company is charging a percentage of what it says is its investment value in the land.

 That percentage was based on a separate appraisal done for the company rather than appraisals done for the towns in which the camps are located. Both appraisals were done by Dickey Appraisal Service of East Holden.

 Under the municipal appraisal, a typical camp lot on East Grand Lake was valued at $18,000. That valuation jumped to $43,000 when G-P had the appraisal done.

 As far back as 1990, G-P had told camp owners the company would seek a percentage of its investment value in the land as part of its lease agreement. That fee, according to a company letter in 1991, would start at 2 percent in 1992 and eventually would increase to 5 percent.

 After much protest, the company placed a moratorium on the lease fee, holding it at 2 percent for the next three years.

 Camp owners, however, are still concerned that the company has not addressed the issue of the discrepancy between the two appraisals or that the 1992 lease fee still is 200 percent greater than the year before.

 Hunter said that camp owners have two basic goals. The first is to try to work out a purchase agreement with the company. If that cannot be done, camp owners would like to have a minimum five-year lease that is not based on land valuation done for G-P by Dickey Appraisal Service.

 “We know there’s got to be a compromise,” said Hunter. “Georgia-Pacific is entitled to a fair return on their property. But we feel a 200 percent increase in one year is not fair.”

 PLEASANT POINT — The value of tradition and the importance of passing on that treasure to succeeding generations was brought home Sunday during the 27th annual Sipayik Indian Day Celebration.

  For more than three hours Sunday, members of the Passamaquoddy tribe related traditional stories, danced and participated in a traditional meal as part of the celebration.

  Festivities began with the presentation of the post colors by Passamaquoddy Memorial Post 11299 of the Veterans of Foreign Wars of Perry. The colors were given to the post by Chris and Fran Mulcahy Sr. of Charlotte. Mulcahy, a past state commander of a VFW post in New York, presented the post’s colors to Post Commander Richard Socobasin. A streamer was added to the top of the flag to recall the MIAs and POWs who have not returned from Vietnam.

  “This is the first post, to our knowledge, named after a tribe of native Americans, and it is very significant because this is the year of the native American,” Mulcahy said.

  Pat McGowan, the Democratic candidate for the 2nd Congressional District seat held by Rep. Olympia Snowe, and state Sen. Harry Vose, D-Meddybemps, attended the ceremony.

  The Chrysler Transatlantic Challenge would not be launching from Bangor without outstanding support from the community.

  When race organizers sought a suitable launch site in the Northeast, “we visited Bangor and met with your local officials,” said Race Director Alan Noble. “We knew the geographical location was right, being close to Europe, but we had questions about technical support and the necessary facilities.”

  Race organizers found what they wanted in Bangor, especially a “can-do” attitude that delivered what was promised. Up-to-date weather forecasts? No problem, according to meteorologists with the Federal Aviation Administration and Bangor International Airport. Sufficient (and secure) storage space? Use an empty hangar at BIA, the city informed Noble. Five big trucks for transporting everything to the launch site? We’ll take care of that, the Maine Air National Guard reported.

  “The people in Bangor have been wonderful,” Noble stated. “In everything that we’ve looked for, Bangor has found it, even a cherry picker (to be) on-site so we could inspect the top of the balloons.”

  “It’s amazing, everything that you’ve got in Bangor … nothing seems to be impossible,” he said. “That comment, it’s sincerely meant … I’ve been quite astounded at the way things have been coming together.

  “It’s really professional, the approach you folks have adopted to help us make this race a success. And it will be a really fun event. Bass Park is such a good takeoff site; we’re looking forward to a good visit and a good race,” Noble said.

  I never doubted that we’d see such excellent community support, said Les Stevens of Bangor 2000. “There’s a tremendous amount of excitement among the members of the steering committee,” he pointed out. “Everyone realized from the beginning the historical importance of this race; no one has ever launched a transatlantic balloon race before, and Bangor’s the site.”

  When the Chrysler Transatlantic Challenge was announced a few months ago, community support started pouring into the Bangor 2000 office. So far, area businesses and agencies have donated more than $40,000 in cash, equipment, or services.

    The five international teams will arrive Aug. 12, and Alan Noble and John Trahey, the official race spokesman, are already in Bangor.

  On Thursday and Friday, Aug.13-14, the five teams will conduct training exercises and attend briefings about the race and the expected weather. Each team will meet its volunteer ground crew, the people from five area service clubs who have volunteered to help launch the balloons. The participating clubs are: the Old Town Rotary Club, Bangor Lions Club, Bangor Breakfast Rotary Club, Bangor Breakfast Kiwanis Club and the Bangor Rotary Club.

  The volunteer ground crews will have several responsibilities, according to Stevens. Each team will number from three to six people who will support their respective crew during the prelaunch countdown.

  The countdown starts four days before the launch. As the necessary weather conditions coalesce, race officials will mark time until the afternoon before the race. Then, the volunteer ground crews will help haul the balloons and other equipment from BIA to Bass Park.

  There, each team will spread its equipment at a prescribed site along the infield oval. Ground crews will remain with their crews and balloons through the night, finally assisting with the final inflation; this should start about 2 a.m. Inflation will take about four hours, Noble said.

  Although the public can watch the launch from a distance, access to the five balloons and crews during the previous 24 hours will be restricted to necessary personnel, Stevens stressed. There will be other opportunities to meet the racers, who will be based at the Holiday Inn on Main Street in Bangor.

  At 2 p.m. on Saturday, Aug. 15, Noble, Trahey, and the race teams will hold a press conference at Bass Park. From 7 p.m.-8:30 p.m. Saturday, Bangor will officially welcome the racers to Maine with a reception at the Bangor Civic Center. After the reception, several balloons (not those involved in the race) will be inflated at the Bangor Raceway infield.

  According to Noble, the official “window” for the Chrysler Transatlantic Challenge opens at midnight Saturday. There is no guarantee that racers will launch immediately, so other events have been scheduled to fill the time.

50 years ago

As reported in the Bangor Daily News

  AUGUSTA — A campaign to stamp out measles in Maine has reduced the incidence of the childhood disease by more than 86 percent in nine months, the health and welfare commissioner said Thursday.

  Dr. Dean H. Fisher said in a statement that 1967 is the first year of the usual two-year epidemic cycle. Thus far, he said, only 282 measles cases have been reported, compared with 2,043 in the first year of the 1963-64 cycle.

  Between January and June, under the immunization program of the Health and Welfare Department, 24,588 preschool and 20,500 in-school children were given the measles vaccine.

  Fisher pointed out that there are still about 40,000 Maine children of susceptible age who have not been immunized.

  When all present children have received vaccine and all newborn children are routinely immunized, Fisher said, measles will disappear from the scene just as smallpox has.

   AUGUSTA — Gov. Kenneth Curtis returned from Brazil on Thursday “tremendously impressed” by the friendliness of the people there and the chances for cultural and economic exchange with Maine’s “sister state” of Rio Grande do Norte.

  The northeastern Brazilian state is Maine’s partner in the Alliance for Progress program.

  “It’s a tremendous program, a nongovernmental thing. We don’t send people who understand all about foreign policy and protocol. So they don’t have to go through all that red tape. It’s just people-to-people, and it promotes better understanding,” said Curtis.  

100 years ago

As reported in the Bangor Daily News

    Lewis F. (Honey) Fleming of Bangor leaves tonight for Vermont where he will enter training in Fort Ethan Allen for the medical reserve as an ambulance driver for service in France. With him will go Roy York of Brewer.

  Fleming is the son of former alderman, John F. Fleming of Ward One and is a prominent member of the Knights of Columbus. He has had much experience in the driving of automobiles. He has the best wishes of his many friends in this adventure.

  BRUNSWICK — Gov. Carl E. Milliken was a visitor at Camp Chamberlain on Aug. 9 to give the place a personal inspection, his appearance being one of the most notable events here since the First Maine Regiment Heavy Artillery went into camp.

  While at the camp he sampled the hamburg steak in the mess of Battery E of Augusta then went to Whittier Field where the first regimental parade was held.  

  He returned to the Delta where he made further inspection of the mess houses and had supper with the boys of Battery D of Bridgton. The governor said the Irish stew was excellent.

  The city of Bangor recently completed a deal whereby it acquired a lot on Thirteenth Street for the new school building to relieve the crowded conditions of the schools in that section. The price was $6,600 and the sale was made by the Hayford estate through Mellen C. Pierce.

  The lot contains a little less than 4 acres, allowing for a large playground.

  There has been some criticism concerning the purchase, as the city owns a lot on Allen Street, nearby, where there is a school building which will be abandoned. It was felt that if the city was to purchase a lot in that neighborhood, it would have been well to have acquired property adjoining the school lot on Allen Street and save some expense. The city officials state that this would have been impracticable, however.

 

Get the Rest of the Story

Thank you for reading your 4 free articles this month. To continue reading, and support local, rural journalism, please subscribe.