Yesterday for 8/3/17




10 years ago

As reported in the Bangor Daily News

  ORONO — Marie-Louise Michelsohn walked off the Beckett Family Track on Aug. 3, absorbed a few compliments from friends, and traded good-natured barbs with those who hadn’t cheered her on during her recently completed race.

  One of her friends explained his apathy succinctly: Michelsohn, he said, probably didn’t need much help from anybody.

  “How many records is that this year?” he asked. “Five?”

  “Eight,” Michelsohn admitted with a grin.

  During the second day of the USA Track & Field Masters Championships, Michelsohn established — again — that she’s the premier distance runner in the world in her age class.

  The 65-year-old from New York City pared a gaudy 1 minute, 14 seconds off the existing world mark in the 2,000-meter steeplechase, finishing in 9 minutes, 9.25 seconds.

  The record (as she pointed out) was her eighth world mark in the 65-to-69 age class this year. She has also set two other American records during that time.

  Michelsohn began running 12 years ago, when her family was dealing with a tragedy.

  “My daughter had a brain hemorrhage, and was having a hard recovery,” she said. “About a year into it, I felt close to falling apart, and I started running. It absolutely saved my life.”

  Three weeks after taking up the sport, she entered her first race, and finished third. And she hasn’t stopped racing since.

  “I was excited by all the energy around me. I was excited by people passing me,” she said. “There was another race a couple weeks later. I was hooked.”

  On Friday, she ran faster than any other 65-year-old has, but still felt that if conditions had been different, she could have run faster.

  “I would have liked to have gone under 9 [minutes], but it was really hot,” she said. “I know I can run 8:55, 8:50. I know that.”

  Michelsohn’s weather report was on the mark: Air temperatures hovered in the mid-90s all day.

  And that’s not the worst of it.

  According to one meet official, a temperature gauge was used to determine that the actual track temperature was 114 degrees. The nearby artificial turf athletic field was even hotter: 145 degrees.

  Hundreds of athletes, age 30 and up, attended the second of four days of competition. Many were recreational runners looking for a social outlet.

  And many others weren’t.

  Bernice Holland, a 1948 Olympian, won the discus on Friday, a day after capturing the shot put in the 80-to-84 age group.

  “I felt good about the discus,” the 80-year-old Holland said. “I will not comment on the shot.”

  Holland, who lives in Cleveland, competed in the 80-meter hurdles and the high jump in the London Games, the first held after World War II.

  “It was exciting, because it was my first time really out of the country, and being in something big and important like that, I enjoyed it,” Holland said.

  Holland remains involved in the sport and helps her son, Claude, as an assistant coach at Cleveland Heights High School.

  Even though her Olympic-era specialties were hurdles and jumps, Holland now coaches the events she competes in during masters competition: the throws.

  She said her progression from jumper to thrower was a natural one.

  “As you age, certain things are not in the condition that you would like them to be,” she said. “I have to still compete.”

  Holland said that she tries to keep a low profile with her athletes and not tell them about her past.

  Her son, however, doesn’t let that happen.

  “They know before they get there,” Holland said with a chuckle. “I don’t have to say anything about having been in the Olympics. My son and the assistant track coaches [and] some of the kids will say, ‘That’s Mom Holland. She was an Olympian.'”

  The masters championships are open to anyone, and alongside the traveling tracksters and former Olympians, a few locals suited up and ran, threw or jumped.

  One such competitor was Mike Viani of Charleston, who was a track standout at Ellsworth High School and the University of Maine.

  Viani was fast enough to run a 48-second 400-meter race while at Maine. But on Thursday, the 40-year-old teacher and coach learned that he’d be lining up beside a 40-something who’d run a 48-second 400 much more recently.

  Like this year.

  Viani ran 12.69 seconds for 100 meters, finished sixth in his heat and didn’t advance to the finals.

  “Terrible time. Good start, though,” Viani said.

  “For not doing block starts very often I felt all right for the first 25 meters. I was right with them. But when you’re racing world champions, it’s just a little difficult to stay with them.”

  Viani also entered the masters championships when it was last held in Orono, in 2002.

  At that time, he was committed to powerlifting and his physique showed it: He ran his sprint races at a well-muscled 255 pounds.

  This year, he trained with the runners he coaches at Central High School, lost 30 pounds since January, and entered hoping to run faster than 12 seconds.

  He fell just a bit short.

  “I was a little bit disappointed. I thought I was faster than that.”

  ROCKLAND — Imagine running a successful business with three-quarters of a million dollars in annual sales and using only volunteers for labor.

  That’s exactly what the Maine Lobster Festival does.

  “Last year we took in more than $700,000 in receipts,” said Maine Lobster Festival Director Chuck Kruger during an interview at the 60th annual running of the event. “We have more than 1,000 volunteers and serve an estimated 100,000 people over the festival’s five days.

  “There wouldn’t be a festival without them,” he said. “Our volunteers come from all over the country; local residents, summer residents and vacationers of all ages volunteer for at least a four-hour shift on the grounds.

  “We don’t have a single employee,” said Kruger, who, like the others, is a volunteer.

  “This festival is bigger than all of us,” he said. “There’s not one thing that can be done by just one person.”

  Started in Camden in 1947, the festival was moved to Rockland the next year and incorporated as the Rockland Festival Corp. Local resident Samuel Collins, now a retired Maine supreme court justice, was one of the early incorporators.

   Kruger said receipts from the festival’s opening on Aug. 1 indicated that 2007 would be a very good year. “Our best year was in 2003, and it may not be as good as that, but almost.”

25 years ago

As reported in the Bangor Daily News

  Two Canadian teenagers were safe and sound Monday morning after spending Sunday night lost on the Gulf Hagas trail near Katahdin Iron Works.

  Jeffrey Bate Boerop, 15, and James Beyea, 17, both of Fredericton, New Brunswick, became separated from their hiking party Sunday afternoon, according to Lt. Carter Smith of the Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife.

  The adult couple with whom the teens were hiking were unable to locate the boys and reported them missing late Sunday afternoon, Smith said.

  Six game wardens spent Sunday night searching for the teenagers who were lightly dressed and not prepared to spend the night in the woods. At about 9 a.m. Monday they wandered out onto the trail and located another group of hikers, who notified rescue personnel in the area.

  Gulf Hagas, referred to as the “Grand Canyon of the East,” is a hard area to search because it consists of cliffs and gorges, which can be dangerous, especially at night, Smith said.

  The 3-mile canyon, which is part of the Appalachian Trail, contains five major waterfalls and nearly vertical walls up to 40 yards high.

  Carter said the two teenagers spent the night just a short distance from the main trail and might have been a little cold, but were otherwise unhurt.

  A helicopter from the Maine Forest Service and a search plane from the Maine Warden Service conducted an air search early Monday morning before the boys were located.

  It was the second time in less than a month that teenagers have become lost in the Gulf Hagas area. Two Millinocket youths spent a cold night on the Gulf Hagas trail on July 15, after they became separated from their group.

 They were found uninjured the next morning.

  BANGOR — Work on removing unstable parts of the Bangor Dam should start within the next 10 days, the city engineer said Aug. 3.

  The local marine contracting firm, Northeast Marine and Towing, was awarded the $65,000 contract Monday by the Finance Committee of the Bangor City Council, James Ring, city engineer, said.

  A principal of the company, Robert Twitchell, has been around the Penobscot River waterfront for several years with the Bangor Docking Facility, which he sold to the city this year.

  This year, under the terms of an agreement with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, the city must remove those portions of the dam that pose a hazard to navigation. The large timbers have been washing away during high water and floating down the river. In coming years, the city will remove the rest of the dam.

  The work is being underwritten by a grant from Bangor Hydro-Electric Co. which donated the money as part of its efforts to mitigate the proposed Basin Mills project, a hydroelectric dam a few miles upstream.

  The twofold project entails widening the breach on the Brewer end of the dam and removing loose timbers along the rest of it, Ring said.

  BROWNVILLE — To Ed Blodgett, a scrapbook is worth “millions in memories.” Blodgett has a scrapbook dedicated to the national championship won by the 1942 Foxcroft Academy cross country team.

  Blodgett’s scrapbook contains the history of the eight-man team and coach, Jerry Twitchell, from early fall through the national championships held Thanksgiving morning at Seton Hall in New Jersey. The team had Thanksgiving dinner at the Empire State Building in New York.

  Blodgett, then a senior at the academy, kept the scrapbook throughout the season. He has pictures and writeups of team races and meets from the state championship to the nationals. He has numbers that were pinned to his team shirt during races.

  The team gathered for a reunion recently at Blodgett’s Sebec Lake cottage. Seven of the eight team members, and Twitchell, were present. Ed Craine of Fedhaven, Florida, had to cancel.

  Reminiscing about the events of 50 years ago were the four seniors on the team, Blodgett, now of Brownville; Lloyd Blethen of Bangor; George Fowler of Longwood, Florida; and Donald Kinney of Dover-Foxcroft; juniors Howard Huntington of Dover-Foxcroft and Ernest Fowler of Rocky Hills, Connecticut.; and freshman David McClure of Connecticut. Craine was also a senior. Twitchell now lives in South Paris.

  Not only did the academy team win national honors and bring home a traveling trophy, but Lloyd Blethen led the way. He won the race outright. His trophy was brought home to stay. The team record going into the race was 19 straight wins. According to Blodgett, they were competing against a team that also had 19 wins. “That team had its first defeat when they came up against us.”

  Entered in the meet were 35 teams, the most in the 17 years it had been run up to 1942. About 250 boys participated, most from larger schools around New York and Philadelphia.

  Eight teams competed in the prep and private school division. Captain Blethen swept the field for individual honors, while the team placed first in the prep school division. The team placed fifth in the meet.

  Of the team’s eight members, five participated in the event. After Blethen’s first-place spot, Blodgett was 21st; Ernest Fowler, 47th; George Fowler, 54th; and Donald Kinney, 96th.

  Foxcroft Academy teams have garnered many honors, from athletics to music to academics, but to those gathered at the cottage of Jean and Bill Blodgett on July 25, nothing will replace the memories of Nov. 25, 1942.

  SACO — Lori Frost of Calais came in with the best round, a 78, to lead the 62nd Women’s Maine State Amateur Golf Championship which opened at the par-72 Biddeford-Saco Country Club here Aug. 3.

   Frost, the leader in a field of 107 golfers, has yet to win a WMSGA tournament, finishing second, third, second, and third in her previous four attempts. But, she said, if she gets her putter going, 1992 could be the year.

   Veteran performer Martha White of Hampden, playing as a independent, is nipping at Frost’s heels, however, with a 79 in the first round of the 54-hole event.

   “Any time I get below 80, I’m happy,” said the 11-time WMSGA champion, who turned 50 last week.

   Cindy Choate of Bridgton, Helen Plourd of Rockland, and Bernice Vadnais of the host club are tied for third at 81.

    Eleven-year-old Abby Spector of Gardiner, the youngest contender in the tournament, playing out of Green Meadow in Farmingdale, shot a surprising 98 to lead the two-player Junior field as Angela Stuart of Augusta shot a 107.

  BARCELONA, Spain — Bangor native Kevin Mahaney and his U.S. crewmates posted a 4-1 record during the Aug. 3 match racing round-robin in the Olympic Soling competition at the yachting venue off Barcelona.

  Mahaney, skipper of the Team Exxon vessel, along with bowman Jim Brady of Annapolis, Maryland, and middleman Doug Kern of Austin, Texas, will race against England in Tuesday’s semifinals.

  Winner of the U.S. vs. England semifinal will then race the winner of the Germany vs. Denmark semi for the gold and silver medals. The two losing craft in the semis will race for the bronze.

  “We were given the option of who we wanted to first race against tomorrow,” said Mahaney, whose boat defeated Denmark, England, Spain, and Sweden on Aug. 3, losing only to Germany in the one-on-one matches. “We chose England, so that the round between Germany and Denmark would automatically eliminate one of our closest competitors.”

  Mahaney pointed out that German skipper Jochen Schumann is the defending Olympic gold medalist from 1988, while Denmark skipper Jesper Bank won the bronze that year.

  “England’s team is skippered by Lawrie Smith, who is undisputedly one of the world’s best sailors. So any way we slice it, we have our work cut out for us from now until the end of the finals,” Mahaney said.

  This is the first year the Soling competition will be decided in head-to-head match racing. Mahaney and the five other match-racing entries advanced by qualifying from among 24 nations in the fleet racing segment last week.

  No U.S. Soling team has failed to win a medal since Olympic competition in the class began in 1972.

  BAR HARBOR — Golfer T.J. Caouette, 15, of Winthrop started the day with a wayward drive, but got his game on track once he arrived at the correct course.

    The Augusta Country Club member started the day by driving to the wrong golf course — 50 miles away.

  “Yeah, we went over to Bangor (Municipal Golf Course) — that’s where my father told me to go,” said Caouette. “And it wasn’t there, so we drove over here.”

  All of that confusion seemed to have a minimal effect on Caouette. He rung up two birdies and three pars on the first five holes. Not too bad for a kid who had never played the course before.

 Caouette calmly sank a 15-foot putt to birdie the 18th and final hole to win the 17th annual Bangor Daily News Junior Amateur Golf Tournament by one stroke at Kebo Valley Golf Club on Monday.

  Caouette shot a personal best, one-under-par 69 for the win.

  “I knew what I had to get because my best friend came up and told me the best score was a 70. I wasn’t nervous at all. I think it helped me knowing what I needed to get,” said Caouette.

  “I just kept playing well and made a lot of putts. … I wasn’t really in a zone or anything, I just played steady,” explained Caouette. “Probably my putting and my wedge shots made the difference.”

   Caouette edged runner-up Kevin Brown (70) of Pittsfield. Belgrade’s Justin Alfond, who finished second overall a year ago, had the third best score with a 75.

50 years ago

As reported in the Bangor Daily News

 Despite one of the most intensive investigations in years, Bangor police were still without a definite lead Thursday in connection with the theft of more than $2,500 worth of guns and ammunition from a local sporting goods store.

  Twenty-seven handguns, nine rifles and several thousand rounds of ammunition were taken in a break Tuesday night at Wight’s Sporting Goods Co. on State Street.

  The thieves entered by cutting the lock on a small freight elevator and virtually cleaned out the store’s entire stock of firearms. Only three shotguns were left behind.

  Apparently no attempt was made to open the store safe and none of the other merchandise in the store was disturbed.

  Police believe the stolen guns are headed for out-of-state outlets.

100 years ago

As reported in the Bangor Daily News

    A Paris cable to The New York Times says: For the first time since the beginning of the war American artists received official permission to make drawings at the front. Although one or two prominent French painters have been allowed to approach the firing line, the privilege has jealously been withheld from others hitherto. Now. two Americans, Waldo Peirce of Bangor, Maine, and Eben Given of Chicago have the right under the auspices of the American Red Cross to tour the French front in an automobile unrestricted even by the presence of a French officer as is the case with newspaper correspondents.

  Peirce, an ex-Harvard football guard, has studied at the Academie Julian in Paris and more recently with the Spanish master Ignacio Zuloaga, being the only pupil the latter ever received. He has exhibited at the Salon de Paris and in New York. He spent two years with the American Ambulance service in the famous Section 3, engaged in the Vosges offensive in December 1915 and which was the first American section sent to Verdun. For his brilliant service therein, Peirce was decorated with the War Cross.

  An imposing picture by Peirce, illustrating the American Red Cross work in France, has been hung in the ARC headquarters in Paris.


Get the Rest of the Story

Thank you for reading your 4 free articles this month. To continue reading, and support local, rural journalism, please subscribe.