Yesterday for 7/13/17
10 years ago
As reported in the Bangor Daily News
Seven wrestlers from eastern Maine will head to Colorado Springs, Colorado, early next month to compete in the sixth State Games of America.
Three-time high school state champion Jerod Rideout and 2007 Class C state champ Colby Johnson, both of Dover-Foxcroft, will be joined on the trip by Ryan Botting of Hermon, Matt Cutrufello and Matt Karnas of Brewer, and Scott Carpenter and Spencer McCormick of Calais. All qualified for the State Games of America based on their top-three finishes at last month’s Maine Games competition.
The group has been practicing twice weekly in addition to participating in wrestling camps at Foxcroft Academy and Calais to prepare for the competition, which will be held Aug. 2-5.
The wrestlers will be joined by coaches Aaron James and David Botting.
The State Games of America is held every other year for athletes of all ages and abilities. The games feature various sports of the Olympic and Pan American Games as well as sports with regional popularity within each state.
U.S. Olympic freestyle wrestling hopeful Phillip Simpson was featured Thursday at the sixth annual Foxcroft Olympic Wrestling Camp at Foxcroft Academy.
The 24-year-old Nashville native currently is training full time in the Army’s World Class Athlete Program at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs.
“I definitely want to try to make the Olympics this coming year,” said Simpson, who competes at 145.5 pounds (60 kilograms). “My weight class is very tough, but I’m in the mix. I’m one of the young guys, so I’m learning and I just need a little more experience. I’ve just got to train hard this year to give myself the best chance in 2008.
“If 2008 doesn’t go the way I want it, 2012’s right there and I’ll still be plenty young for that.”
Simpson was a four-time Tennessee high school state champion. He compiled a 149-1 career record, losing only once during his sophomore season to a rival from Georgia — a loss he later avenged.
He then received an appointment to West Point, from where he graduated in 2005 as Army’s all-time leader in victories with a 134-19 record and as a three-time NCAA Division I All-American. Simpson won three Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association titles and was the runner-up at 149 pounds at the 2005 NCAA Division I championships.
Since graduating from West Point, Simpson has trained at the U.S. Olympic Training Center and competed in meets throughout the world while developing his freestyle skills.
“We spend our whole lives wrestling folkstyle, then we get out of college and change over to freestyle,” he said. “It takes the Americans a little longer to master that style of wrestling, and I’m still learning.”
Simpson, the son of a wrestling coach, aspires to be a teacher and coach once his competitive career ends. That goal motivates him when he speaks at wrestling camps like this week’s event in Dover-Foxcroft.
“I try to show them things that are basic but work on the highest level,” he said. “I think about if I could go back in time and teach myself when I was their age anything, this is what I would teach myself. You try to give them a good foundation and show them how to build off it.
“It’s fun watching them take those things and start figuring them out for themselves.”
Thirty-five years ago today, Cindy and Rick Simpson walked into Boyd & Noyes Jewelers in downtown Bangor and picked out a small solitary diamond and became officially engaged.
Most likely the couple will spend the day celebrating and reliving memories they have made together over the years. Cindy also likely will visit her mailbox many times today, holding onto a sliver of hope that that small .20 carat diamond ring, size 3, may be tucked inside.
For the past few weeks, Cindy has been plastering neighborhoods with bright pink posters begging for the return of her engagement ring, which was sold accidentally for 25 cents in her yard sale last month.
“It’s not that the ring is worth much monetarily,” she said, “but to me it has such sentimental value.”
Jewelers had warned Cindy not to wear the ring until the prongs on it were redone and strengthened. The ring had been in a small plastic bag and accidentally made its way into a red velvet basket full of costume jewelry that Cindy had for sale at a June 16 yard sale at her home on Lane Street in Bangor.
She didn’t realize what had happened until later that evening when she suddenly thought of her diamond and went looking for it with more than a touch of dread in her stomach.
“I just went to pieces when I realized what had happened. Rick was great about it, talking about the day we got engaged and how vivid those memories still were and that was what was important. I still spent two days being quite devastated,” she said.
The next day Cindy went to every yard sale she could find and asked people to post her flier in hopes that whoever went to her yard sale might go to others. She ran a classified ad in the newspaper and checked her mailbox 10 times a day.
“People have been so kind. I’m always quick to explain that I understand that the ring does not have much monetary value, and they always jump in and say, ‘It’s valuable to you.’ I’ve really been amazed at how helpful and kind everyone has been,” she said.
But the ring has not been returned.
Those who have witnessed the passion of a true yard-saler know that little gets in the way of the quest for a deal.
Cindy figures her engagement ring may be worth $50. That’s surely a deal for someone who paid 25 cents, but she also hopes to appeal to the conscience and perhaps the heartstrings of the person who bought it.
“If they could just send it back to me anonymously or drop it in my mailbox, I would be so grateful,” she said.
As Cindy sat on my front porch and told her tale of woe this week, she looked at me just a bit coyly and indicated there was a slight caveat to the story.
“Rick and I aren’t actually married anymore,” she confessed, “but we date exclusively.”
Thirty-five years after he placed that diamond on her hand in downtown Bangor, the couple have been separated and divorced and clearly are as much in love today as they were all of those years ago. Cindy practically swoons as she tells of the many small romantic gestures that her ex cooks up to keep her head spinning.
“We love each other faithfully. I just don’t really want to live with him. After we divorced he told me that he thought that all women were romantic, but that he quickly realized that it was only me. How can you not love that?” she said.
It may be a small ring, but it’s a big love story, and it would be a giant gesture for someone with a fifth of a carat diamond, size 3, that cost them 25 cents, to find a way to return it to 45 Lane St.
25 years ago
As reported in the Bangor Daily News
The new pediatrics unit at Eastern Maine Medical Center cleared its next-to-last hurdle Thursday when the Children’s Campaign reached its intermediate goal of $5.25 million, earning it the third $250,000 installment of the Stephen and Tabitha King challenge.
The campaign will continue with a push for $322,000 in contributions to achieve the next goal of $5,822,000, which will trigger a $350,000 “topping-off” grant from the Kresge Foundation to reach the total cost of the project at $6,172,000.
The actual cost of the pediatrics unit, which will occupy the eighth floor of the Grant tower, has always been the $6 million-plus figure. But when a feasibility study suggested $5 million as a realistic goal for the campaign, the hospital started last November with the lower figure as a goal and planned to borrow the rest.
On April 13, with the total pledged at $3.7 million, Bangor author Stephen King announced that he and his wife would promise $750,000 in three installments — the first that day, and subsequent payments when the campaign reached the $4.2 million and $5.25 million marks. It took the Children’s Campaign less than three months to surpass both totals.
On June 25, with the campaign at the $5 million mark and closing in on the final King challenge, the Kresge Foundation of Troy, Mich., a private foundation started by philanthropist Sebastian Kresge promised the final $350,000 in needed money if the community could reach $5,822,000.
The Kresge Foundation has set a deadline of Feb. 1 for the campaign to reach the last figure in pledges. Campaign co-chairman G. Clifton Eames believes the money can be raised by Sept. 1 with continued efforts by all facets of the campaign, including the community campaign led by Lynda Clyve. That portion of the campaign already has surpassed $300,000, but will continue to be a part of the final push.
Eames hopes more businesses and corporations will join the fundraising, but each individual effort is cherished as well. Penny Harris, EMMC development director, was touched recently by the offer of proceeds of a special carwash held in Bangor.
Bangor High student Shellie Domenico, 16, and two friends, Heidi Steeves and Melissa Philbrick, raised $86 for the Children’s Campaign by washing cars. The money is being donated in memory of Domenico’s cousin, Stephanie Paradis, who died of leukemia 12 years ago at age 3.
Domenico’s young cousin had been a patient on the pediatrics unit. “She got very good care there,” Domenico said, “but there wasn’t much room for the family.”
Room for the family is one thing planners are committed to providing in the new unit.
“With their continued support,” Eames said, “the people of Maine are very close to giving Maine children an inpatient children’s center, providing the best of both worlds — the specialized care they need and the reassurance that a family member is close at hand. The center is truly a gift from the people to the 90,000 children living in northern and eastern Maine.”
SKOWHEGAN — Leaders of the Remember Kathy Committee said they felt betrayed Sunday afternoon when it was announced that two separate private sessions with Somerset County Sheriff Spencer Havey and Attorney General Michael Carpenter had been canceled by those officials.
Fewer than 60 people turned out for the seventh weekly rally at the Somerset County Courthouse. The rallies have been held each Sunday in the wake of the shooting death May 16 of Kathy Hegarty in a remote camp in Dennistown Plantation. Although the original intent of the group was to call for the firing and criminal prosecution of the officers involved in the shooting, the group has directed its energies to making the investigation details public and changing laws and policies that they say deny power to Maine residents.
Remember Kathy Committee co-chairman, Linda Smithers, said that a meeting originally scheduled for 9 a.m. Monday, July 13, and agreed to on July 1 by Havey, was canceled this week. “Two days ago,” she said, “we were informed that Havey has gone fishing. If he doesn’t think this is an important issue, maybe he should step down.”
As a result, Smithers said a petition is being circulated throughout the county that demands the immediate resignation of the sheriff.
Smithers said that Attorney General Carpenter also canceled a meeting with six Remember Kathy Committee members originally set for Thursday evening, July 16. “He’s too busy,” she said, “to come to Madison and meet with the committee.”
Smithers, her husband, Ralph, and Bob Murray, Hegarty’s brother, and his wife, Loretta, told their supporters that Carpenter and other officials were hoping that the issue would drop. “The politicians think we’re going to go away, that we are going to get tired and give up. It is their standard operating procedure to outwait the citizens.”
Linda Smithers said that instead of dissolving, the Remember Kathy movement was spreading across the state. After next week’s rally in Skowhegan, rallies will be held in Lewiston, Bar Harbor and other cities. During the process of trying to open the Hegarty investigation, Smithers said, “We are finding law after law that takes away the people’s rights.”
On Sunday, she specifically referred to the laws that restrict recalling a sheriff. She said that despite the sheriff’s being an elected official, the people do not have the right of recall. Smithers said the county commissioners have to petition the governor to remove a sheriff. “In the future,” she said, “we are going to look at these laws and work with the Legislature to get the power back to the citizens.”
The group will continue to call for a special prosecutor to be appointed and for all investigations of Hegarty’s death, including autopsy and medical examiner’s reports, to be made available to the Remember Kathy Committee.
EAST MACHIAS — Burglars broke into the East Machias Municipal Building late Thursday night or early Friday morning and stole the town’s fireproof safe and an undetermined amount of cash and checks.
According to Town Clerk Bernice Gardner, burglars entered the brick building by removing a rear window without breaking it, ransacked her office and that of the assessors, rolled up the rugs from the main hallway floor, and wheeled the town’s safe through the front doorway to a waiting vehicle. The intruders had to break into the vault room at the rear of the building and then wheel the safe through a clerk’s office to the front doors. The doors opened from the inside.
The heavy safe, a bulky 3-feet wide, was found about noon Friday on a side road at Scott’s Hill, less than a mile from the municipal building. The steel vault had been pounded open.
Missing from the safe, according to Gardner, was a small box that contained several checks and an undisclosed amount of cash. “We are still trying to determine the total loss,” Gardner said.
Most shocking to her, was the fact that the safe was taken. “I had been so careful to put everything of value in that safe because I thought it would be safe there. I didn’t think the safe itself would be stolen.”
Police recovered nearly all of the records that the burglars had thrown on the ground around the safe. All vital records dating back to 1852 until the present time, were stored in the safe. Also recovered were minutes of town meetings dating from 1979; state and federal election records; motor vehicle registration stickers; the clerk’s validation stamp; deeds; and insurance policies.
Ralph Dennison, an East Machias firefighter, discovered the burglary when he checked the fire station at about 6:15 a.m. Friday. He reported the condition of the clerk’s office to Gardner, who notified the Washington County Sheriff’s Department. “When I realized that all of our old records were gone,” Gardner said, “I sat right down and bawled. Some of those records aren’t recorded anywhere else, and they are very valuable to the town.”
Deputy Sheriff Sidney Hughes was assigned to investigate the break-in and theft of municipal, state and federal property. Trooper Stephen Pickering of Surry assisted Hughes.
50 years ago
As reported in the Bangor Daily News
The city of Bangor set its 1967 tax rate at $35 per $1,000 valuation, an increase of 60 cents over last year’s figure.
City Manager Merle Goff announced the official rate following a morning meeting with the City Council’s Finance Committee and an afternoon session with the Board of Assessors.
The 60-cent increase is the same as estimated for the council during passage of the budget this spring, but much less than the $2.70 increase included in the preliminary budget estimates for this year submitted to the council last November by former City Manager Joseph R. Coupal Jr.
Because of a large increase in the taxable valuation in Bangor over what was estimated, the city had the choice of holding any tax increase this year to as little as 10 cents.
However, the Finance Committee agreed with Goff that the 60-cent increase be held to in order to provide for what is seen as major new expenses next year. Unspent money this year will go into surplus and be utilized to pay off the following year’s expenses.
“It is an attempt to exercise some kind of stabilizing influence on the tax structure,” Goff said. The small steady tax increase is more palatable than sharp fluctuations, he felt.
Some cases of large expenses or smaller revenues next year is in the area of urban renewal property demolitions, the loss of federal military impact funds for education here, and the cost of operating Dow AFB.
The tax increase this year is less than Coupal estimated last November because of revenues not foreseen then. These included a $140,000 repayment from urban renewal for Public Works Department services at Stillwater Park, a $15,000 urban renewal payment to the city in lieu of taxes; and greater excise tax income.
100 years ago
As reported in the Bangor Daily News
News has been received by the relatives of Capt. Stephen McDonough and First Mate William R. Lowe of Winterport that the schooner Mary W. Bowen, on which they sailed from New York in May for a French port, presumably Bordeaux, had been torpedoed and sunk. No further particulars are known.
The Mary W. Bowen was a five-master of 1,907 tons net register, built at Bath in 1900 and hailed from Fall River, Massachusetts.
Capt. McDonough and Mate Lowe were in the schooner Lyman M. Law which sailed from Stockton Jan. 6 last and was sunk by a German submarine in the Mediterranean in February. They came back to Winterport and were not ashore long when they were offered the berths on the Bowen. It is believed that there were no other Maine men in the crew of the Bowen, as she was nearly ready for sea when the Maine men took command.
BATH — The sale of the Bath Iron Works to a syndicate of Maine financiers by the estate of John S. Hyde, who died last March, was announced July 11. The new owners are Maynard S. Bird & Co. and Charles H. Gilman & Co., Portland bond brokers; Henry W. Cushman, president of the Merrill Trust Co. of Bangor, and their allied business interests and friends, according to the announcement.
Former Gov. William T. Cobb of Rockland, chairman of the Maine shipbuilding committee, succeeds Mr. Hyde as president of the corporation, and the board of directors consists of Mr. Cobb, Frederick H. Appleton of Bangor, Maynard S. Bird, Hugh J. Chisholm, Eleazer W. Clark, Portland; Henry W. Cushman, Bangor; Charles H. Gilman, Portland; Weston Lewis, Gardiner; H. M. Verrill, Portland; H. H. McCarty, John McInnes and Charles P. Wetherbee, Bath.
The change in ownership will enable the new management to fully cooperate with the Navy Department and double its capacity for the production of the vessels required by the Navy Department’s new plans.
The corporation has contracts for nine torpedo boat destroyers to cost more than $10,000,000.