Yesterday for 6/1/17
10 years ago
As reported in the Bangor Daily News
Last fall, for the first time since Maine’s salmon rivers were closed to fishing in 1999, anglers were able to cast flies on the Penobscot River during an experimental season.
In less than two weeks, anglers will be able to sound off on a pair of issues surrounding salmon fishing as the Maine Atlantic Salmon Commission addresses the Penobscot River’s immediate and long-range future.
On June 13 two separate meetings will be held at Holden Elementary School for two separate purposes.
First on the agenda is a public hearing on a proposal to establish a yearly one-month fishing season for Atlantic salmon.
After that hearing is completed, the ASC will seek public comment on a potential spring fishing season, also on the Penobscot.
Pat Keliher, the executive director of the Maine Atlantic Salmon Commission, said last fall’s experimental season was a success.
One fish was caught during that monthlong session, and about 250 anglers bought licenses.
“While there wasn’t a great amount of participation, as with all fall fishing in the state, it was a success,” Keliher said. “Any time we can re-engage anglers with the fish, it’s a positive situation.”
A year ago, as plans for that one-time fall fishing season moved forward, most of the negative comments about the proposal weren’t anti-fishing but anti-fall fishing.
Many longtime salmon anglers held out hope that a traditional spring season would be opened instead.
Keliher hopes any interested parties choose to stay for the scoping session that will follow the public hearing to share their views on the issue again.
“We want to hear their comments, pro, con, or indifferent,” Keliher said.
Keliher said the ASC staff realizes there’s strong sentiment among some anglers to open a spring season, and the scoping session will give the ASC the chance to examine many options.
“All salmon anglers are going to want to fish in the spring, if we can find a way to allow it,” he said.
The ASC also wants to make sure that any decision it makes doesn’t unduly impact the fishery.
“We’ve already done one risk assessment on a spring fishery based on specific dates and they’ve shown that there would definitely be an impact on the resource,” Keliher said.
ROCKLAND — It was a sometimes emotional, always serious ceremony Friday as the U.S. Coast Guard Station in Rockland marked a change of command.
Chief Warrant Officer Dan Brown, 44, a 27-year veteran of the Coast Guard, was relieved of his command after three years. Chief Warrant Officer Curtis Barthel, 39, a 22-year Coast Guard veteran, took over at the station.
Brown had been at the helm in Rockland for three years, and he now is bound for a post as auxiliary liaison for the Coast Guard in Louisville, Kentucky, on the banks of the Ohio River. The move puts him closer to his son Dana, who is in the Army and stationed nearby.
At one point in the ceremony, the elder Brown stood and saluted his son, seated in the front row of the audience. Dana Brown has served in Afghanistan, his father said.
Barthel comes to Rockland after serving three years in New York City. Rockland was his first choice for his next assignment, he said.
The three-year span of service for both men is no coincidence. The Coast Guard consistently moves its commanders after that term, which may keep the officers on their toes with fresh challenges ahead of them, but it also can be hard on families.
Barthel is married with two young daughters. His family is looking forward to life on the coast of Maine, and to living in a small city that embraces the Coast Guard and understands its mission, he said after the ceremony.
Capt. Stephen Garrity, a 29-year veteran who will leave the Coast Guard in three weeks, choked up twice while speaking about the two men, whom he regards with great respect, he said. The ceremony marked the “continuity and change” qualities of the service — a continuity of leadership, tradition and authority of the commander, coupled with the change inherent in military service, he said.
“The Coast Guard needs change. This unit needs change,” Garrity said.
“Station Rockland is a multimission unit,” he said, with its rescue, enforcement, ice-breaking, ferry escorts, buoy tending and a host of other tasks the men and women on duty face. The diversity is one of the reasons officers desire a move to Rockland, he added.
He praised Brown for his “tireless effort and enthusiasm,” and for overseeing such projects as renovations to 25,000 square feet of barracks.
Garrity told Barthel he believed he was “the right man for the job,” and encouraged him to “reward competent risk taking” by those under his command. He urged the station’s officers to support Barthel as they did Brown.
Garrity summed up the Coast Guard’s mission with the phrase: “All threats, all hazards, always ready.”
MILLINOCKET — Hundreds of cyclists, some coming from as far away as New Brunswick and Boston, are expected to participate Saturday and Sunday in the Golden Road’s first bicycle race and touring event in at least 20 years, organizers said Friday.
“It’s history,” one of the organizers, Lisa McLaughlin, said Friday.
“It’s going to be a very good experience,” said her husband, fellow organizer Stanley McLaughlin. “This has never happened before.”
Both are founding members of the Katahdin Trails Alliance, a 35-member nonprofit bicycling and hiking club that, following in the footsteps of area ATV and snowmobile riders, wants to map trails, publish a trail guide, promote bicycle and hiking safety and education, establish bike lanes and signs on roads, create Katahdin racing and touring events, and apply for private, state or federal grant money for those efforts.
The KTA’s longer-term and most ambitious goal is to turn Katahdin into one of New England’s great bicycle and mountain-biking destinations, which the publication of bike trail maps could help.
The Golden Road Bike Tour is their first large-scale event. Profits from it will go back into their trail-making efforts, Stanley McLaughlin said.
BREWER — Cianbro Corp., a Pittsfield construction company known around the state and the nation, plans to build and run a manufacturing facility that will create 500 or more well-paying jobs at the defunct Eastern Fine Paper Co. mill site.
The skilled workers will not be making paper, but modules — prefabricated, self-standing building structures — that will be shipped out by barge to industrial clients and joined into larger structures elsewhere.
The plan is to start production on April 1, 2008.
“We’re going to employ 500 people there,” Peter G. Vigue, CEO and president of Cianbro Corp., said this week of the Brewer project. “We want to be conservative. It could be more than that.”
The proposal made by Vigue was “welcomed immediately,” City Manager Steve Bost said.
The Cianbro project will change the former industrial site into a manufacturing facility that will draw welders, electricians, pipe fitters, millwrights and other skilled workers from all over the region to build the steel modules.
“We’ll do it all right here with the local workforce — it’s all local people,” said Ernie Kilbride, Cianbro’s vice president of project development.
Vigue said Cianbro could have located the module construction facility anywhere along the Eastern Seaboard or the Gulf Coast, but chose to find a site in Maine because “we recognize the value of the people in the state of Maine.”
“The modules can be used for any commercial construction site,” Kilbride said. “There is a huge demand for these types of modules.”
The modules allow for a quick set-up of buildings on construction sites and therefore speedier construction times. The modules will arrive at their destinations wired, with installed pipes and structural fire protection already in place.
The three biggest users of modules now are the pharmaceutical, papermaking and petrochemical industries. Modules also could be used for bridges and other transportation needs, for future nuclear plants and possibly for marine facilities.
Some of the modules that will be built are 60 feet high. They can be as wide as 120 feet and weigh up to 1,200 tons, which would make transporting them by rail or road impossible, Vigue said.
Incoming barges, loaded with steel and piping, are expected to arrive on the Penobscot River every four months or so, he said.
25 years ago
As reported in the Bangor Daily News
Katherine Hegarty was drunk when police shot her to death near Jackman, according to the state’s chief medical examiner.
Dr. Henry Ryan reported Monday that Hegarty’s blood alcohol level on the night of the shooting was 0.24 percent — three times as high as the legal limit for blood alcohol in Maine drivers, by comparison.
Two sheriff’s deputies and a state trooper shot Hegarty as they stormed her camp in Dennistown shortly after midnight May 16. Official reports indicate that Hegarty raised a gun at the officers, as Somerset County Deputy Rene Guay fired a shotgun through the window, and Deputy Wilfred Hines and Trooper Gary Wright fired handguns through the doorway.
The shooting has enraged friends, relatives and people across the state, who want to know why the police acted aggressively, instead of waiting for Hegarty to come out of the cabin voluntarily.
Attorney General Michael Carpenter has said he would announce the findings of his investigation of the shooting on Wednesday. Carpenter did not return several calls Monday.
Jack Hegarty, Katherine’s husband, said Monday that he was surprised by the amount of alcohol found in her blood. He said that she did drink at one time to ease chronic back pain, but did not think a problem existed in May. “I thought that was all in the past,” he said.
Either way, he added, the shooting remains unjustified.
“That’s got nothing to do with five men storming that cabin,” he said. “To me that was more reason, if a person has a firearm, to leave them alone. There was never a threat made.”
The incident began when Hegarty repeatedly fired a rifle in the vicinity of four fishermen who were camped near her cabin. The campers reported that Hegarty both yelled furiously at the campers and sang to herself during the confrontation.
The campers fled the area and drove to Jackman, where they notified police. Guay, Hines, Wright and two other sheriff’s deputies then went to the scene, where they tried to lure Hegarty out of her cabin. When initial attempts failed, the officers entered the cabin.
On Sunday, about 50 people took part in a demonstration in Skowhegan, demanding that the officers who shot Hegarty be fired, according to The Associated Press. The protest came six days after a similar demonstration drew 250 people in Jackman.
“If they let these guys go, it’ll be pretty much an open declaration that police have their own laws,” said Peter Pfeiffer of Solon, one of the Skowhegan protesters.
HERMON — Telephones, compact discs, VCRs and televisions are an integral part of the modern American home, and they may play a significant role in a proposed new Hermon High School.
“You have a tremendous opportunity in this school district to plan a progressive educational system to meet the needs of your youngsters,” John Herlihy, a Kentucky education consultant, told a group of 40 people Monday at the Hermon Elementary/Junior High School.
Still in its beginning stages, the estimated $12 million high school project could be started in early 1993 and be ready for students in September 1995. Before then, however, the project will need to meet state and local approval.
Hermon residents will get to voice their opinion on the project at a meeting on June 22, when a straw vote will be taken.
While the cost of a technologically advanced schools is high — Herlihy’s own school district spends $200,000 to $400,000 annually on new equipment — Herlihy said that it’s not as high as the cost of not adequately preparing America’s young people.
America’s students “are going to have to compete internationally and globally for jobs,” he said. “You can’t not afford to (change).”
Hired by the district several months ago to help develop the new high school, Herlihy is being paid $8,000, about half the amount the state has allowed the district to set aside for research into technology.
“It’s for all of us, it’s not just for Hermon, Maine, the United States. We’re a melting pot, a model for the rest of the world,” Herlihy said.
For the past five years, Herlihy’s school district of 4,600 students has spent $25 million to build and revamp its schools. Herlihy said that Hermon must have its own plan based on its needs, resources and priorities.
For all the money that his school district has poured into its schools, Herlihy said he has seen it pay off. With one computer available for every six children and the presence of television programs and projects, all students in his district scored in the top half of the score ranges in all of the national tests taken by students.
Former University of Maine shortstop Mike Bordick, the leading hitter in the American League, has been getting national media attention as a write-in candidate for the All-Star game. Winterport’s Bordick, the starting shortstop for the Oakland Athletics, took a .352 average into Monday night’s game against the Boston Red Sox.
Boston Globe baseball writer and ESPN baseball analyst Peter Gammons has mentioned Bordick as being deserving of consideration for the All-Star team.
In the May 24 Globe, Gammons wrote, “There are always inequities when it comes to the names teams submit for the All-Star ballot, such as (Baltimore catcher) Chris Hoiles, trying to become the first player since Steve Garvey in 1974 to earn a write-in starting berth. One certainly can make an argument for writing in Mike Bordick.”
“There’s been a little bit of hoopla about it going around, but I’m not really thinking about that,” said Bordick. “It’s an honor just to be thought of as a write-in candidate. I’m very proud of that.”
Bordick said the fact he is leading the league in hitting has resulted in a significant increase in media attention. His accomplishments have been mentioned in such national publications as Sports Illustrated, The Sporting News and USA Today, and Gammons has mentioned them on ESPN.
“I’ve been trying to take it all in stride,” said Bordick. “I’m not going to get too blown away by all this. There have been a lot of (media) requests and things. I’m enjoying it. I might as well enjoy it while I can.”
In addition to leading the American League in average, Bordick is among the top 10 in the AL in hits with 58. “I consider myself a contact hitter. I try to stay away from the strikeout as much as possible,” said Bordick. “But I need to get some more walks. I’m hitting .352, but my on-base percentage is only three-fifty-something.”
50 years ago
As reported in the Bangor Daily News
An organization to actively promote an East-West highway connecting the Maritime Provinces of Canada with the Midwest, via Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont and New York, was organized in Bangor at a conference sponsored by the Bangor Chamber of Commerce.
Gov. Kenneth M. Curtis of Maine told the 125 delegates that the project had his whole-hearted support and that he had discussed the proposal with President Lyndon B. Johnson at the Windsor Locks meeting of the New England Governors.
Curtis said that there was a definite need for an East-West highway and he told the assembly that he looked forward to an air-highway link with the rich middle section of the United States, not only for attracting tourism but as an arm of Maine’s continuous drive for industrial and commercial development.
The general plan calls for interconnecting and improving existing roads starting at the New Brunswick-Maine border and extending across Maine via Bangor and Skowhegan, Tamworth, New Hampshire, Rutland, Vermont, and connecting with the New York State Throughway at Amsterdam, New York.
The purpose of the meeting Thursday was to elect an executive committee to work directly with the New England Regional Commission, established by Congress, with the Federal Bureau of Roads and the various highway commissions to work out the best possible route.
- Bartlett Cram of Bangor was elected chairman of the executive committee.
ORONO — A prominent national newspaperman advised University of Maine graduates here Thursday to “devote the best of your intellects to solving the problems arising from thermonuclear proliferation, the population explosion and pollution,” while “maintaining our great traditions of self-government.”
James Russell Wiggins, editor and executive vice president of The Washington Post, was principal speaker at the 130th commencement exercises of the state university.
Wiggins, speaking on “An Uncertain Inheritance,” told his audience that our civilization is not predestined to pass away or to live forever. It is an estate that depends upon human management — the management of each passing generation.”
Gov. Kenneth M. Curtis, 36, the youngest governor in the nation, joined Wiggins and three others in receiving honorary degrees. He extended brief greetings, but made no major address.
Curtis was cited in recognition of “your rapid rise up the ladder of public service, of your zeal in advancing old and new programs for the betterment of the state, of your interest in the youth of Maine and their education and your example as an incentive to youthful ambition.”
Wiggins, a native of Minnesota and owner of the Ellsworth American weekly newspaper in Maine, was honored in recognition of “your adherence to the highest ideals of journalism, your intelligent and fearless defense of the freedom of the press, your constructive leadership of a great American newspaper, and your not-so-secret love affair with the State of Maine.”
100 years ago
As reported in the Bangor Daily News
AUGUSTA — The subcommittee on food production and conservation of the Maine public safety committee at a meeting held here voted to extend an invitation to the nine hundred hotel keepers of the state to meet this committee on June 7th at the state house for a discussion of the adoption of a program of conservation in hotels and boarding houses, possibly with the idea of eliminating the American plan and substituting the European plan, and to receive any helpful suggestions which may result from any discussion at this meeting. It was also voted to make recommendations to the town chairmen that subcommittees of women on food production and conservation be appointed in every town in the state.
AUGUSTA — Nearly every county in the state is represented in the list of recruits who have joined the colors since Col. Frank M. Hume of Houlton, commanding the Second Maine Regiment Infantry, received orders from the war department to recruit to the maximum war strength of 150 men to a company. The opinion in military circles here is that the regiment will be recruited to the maximum war strength and after a thorough training be sent to a mobilization camp in the South and there await further orders.