Support calendar for 6/1/17
Support group listings run as space permits. Items are due at least seven to 10 days before the Thursday of publication. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Mail: The Weekly, P.O. Box 1329, Bangor ME 04402.
- Al-Anon meetings for relatives and friends affected by the excessive drinking of someone else, Bangor area and throughout Maine. Meeting times and locations, maineafg.org or 800-498-1944.
- Bangor Area Narcotics Anonymous meeting for families and loved ones of addicts. 6-7 p.m. Thursdays, St. Francis Center (old firehouse) across from St. Joseph emergency entrance, 368 Center St. Janice, 299-8802.
- Bangor Area Parkinson’s Group, 1-3 p.m. third Sundays, Acadia Hospital. Room reserved. Open to patients and caregivers.
- Bangor area Crohn’s and Colitis Support Group, 6 p.m. second Thursdays, Chapman Conference Room, St. Joseph Hospital, Broadway.
- Celiac Sprue Support Group, 7 p.m. third Tuesdays, St. Francis Center. 294 Center St.
- Children and Adults with Attention Deficit Disorder, or CHADD, 6-7 p.m. third Tuesday, office of Barry Rubin, Bangor Family Counseling, Suite 335, 96 Harlow St. Free. 990-1555.
- Eastern Maine Crohn’s and Colitis Support Group for IBD patients, caregivers and family members, 6-7:30 p.m. second Thursdays, Dr. Frank Chapman Conference Room, 2nd floor, St. Joseph Hospital. 691-3132 or email@example.com.
- Eastern Maine Medical Center Bereavement Support Group, 7-8:30 p.m. second and fourth Thursdays of each month, Cascade Room, Riverside Inn, 495 State St. Sandra Levesque, 973-6604.
- Food Addicts in Recovery Anonymous, 6:30 p.m. Mondays, First United Methodist Church, 703 Essex St. Free. Twelve Step recovery program for those suffering from food obsession, overeating, under-eating and bulimia. 781-321-9118 or 775-2132.
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) Support Groups for anyone affected by mental illness, Acadia Hospital. Information and meeting schedule, Jean-Ann, 949-5658, or Betsy, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Narcotics Anonymous, meets seven days a week in Bangor-Brewer area. 12-step program for those who have or think they may have a drug problem. For times and locations, call 800-974-0062 or visit www.namaine.org
- Nicotine Anonymous, 6:30-7:30 p.m. Wednesdays, conference room, Maine Veterans Home. Provides help for those who have quit smoking and want to stay that way. Larry, 843-7563.
- Ostomy Support Group ostomy patients, their families and caregivers, 3-5 p.m. second Tuesdays, every other month, Felician Conference Room, second floor, St. Joseph Hospital. Free. Rose Cyr, 907-1550 or email@example.com.
- Overeaters Anonymous for those with eating disorders, 10 a.m. Saturdays, 5 p.m. Sundays, Strauss meeting room St. Joseph Hospital, Center Street; and 10 a.m. Mondays and noon Thursdays, Redeemer Lutheran Church, 540 Essex St.
- St. Joseph Diabetes and Nutrition Center Diabetes Support Group, 2 p.m. first Wednesday of the month, Willette Conference Center, Building 1, St. Joseph Healthcare Park, 900 Broadway. Meetings facilitated by certified diabetes educator. Group members share tips on diabetes management. Open to all. Free. 907-1187.
- Safe Place, for those who have lost someone to suicide, 6:30-8 p.m. first Wednesdays, St. Joseph’s Healthcare Park, 900 Broadway. Peer-led group with no fee. Associated with American Foundation for Suicide Prevention. afsp.org.
- Spruce Run-Womancare Alliance support groups for women affected by partner abuse. Day and evening groups; child care activities. Spruce Run-Womancare Alliance, 800-863-9909.
- Bangor TOPS 0311, (Take off Pounds Sensibly), 9-10:15 a.m. Fridays, Nason Manor community room, 140 Hancock St. Lucy, 631-3148.
- Bangor Area Recovery Network recovery education and support, 6-7 p.m. Wednesdays, BARN Community Recovery Center, 142 Center St. Free. 561-9444 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Central Maine Brain Injury and Stroke Support Group, 4-5 p.m. third Mondays, conference room, Brewer Center for Health and Rehabilitation. Open to survivors and caregivers. Patty, 989-7300, ext. 134.
- Vestibular Support Group for those experiencing dizziness, imbalance, vertigo or ringing in the ears, Brewer Physical Therapy and Spine Clinic, 51 Main Road. 989-4122.
- GriefShare support group, for all dealing with issues of grieving, 10:00-11:30 am every Friday until 7/14/17, Old Town United Methodist Church, 726 Stillwater Avenue, in the Youth Classroom. Support group involves a DVD, workbook activities, and a discussion. Sue at 827-3649 for more information.
- Al-Anon, 6-7 p.m. Fridays, East Orrington Congregational Church, 38 Johnson Mill Road. 284-1844 or email@example.com.
- Amputees support group starting June 1st in the Bangor area. The time will be 1 p.m.-2:30 p.m. There is no fee, family members and caregivers are welcome. Please call 296-2087 for more information. firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Stillwater TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly), Stillwater Federated Church every Thursday with weigh-in 4:45 pm and meeting 6-7 pm. First visit free. For more information, call Louise 827-5786 or visit TOPS website at topspower.org or tops.org.